Friday, April 9, 2010

ALICE IN WONDERLAND BIRTHDAY - PART II

I mentioned in PART I that I had a bad cold, because of that cold things did not go as smoothly as I had planned, things didn't get done or finished nobody knew but I did and it still makes me mad...

Our party was really two parties in one.  The first being a MAD HATTER TEA PARTY for the little ones and a PARTY FOR ALICE HOSTED BY THE RED QUEEN for the grown-ups.

The table was filled with moss bunnies, topiaries embellished with a "K" for Kate and "E" for Emma, a clock, roses, and tea cups.  The food was served on white and silver pieces.

The cakes (which were never served...last minute icing issue, the girls didn't miss them but I did...) one pink for Kate and one blue for Emma were too be served on a silver cake stand topped with a moss wreath.  The tea cup was supposed to have a cupcake inside to hold the candles.


The cakes that were served were DELICIOUS if I do say so myself!  I got the idea from an old Southern Living Weddings issue for Faux Fondant Cakes.  Super simple to do.  Bake mini cupcakes and dip them in a faux fondant which is simply melted vanilla baking candies a bit of whipping cream and tint with food coloring.  The bottoms I dipped in melted chocolate and for the top is a drop of melted white chocolate and a red candy heart.  They were a HUGE hit!  Regretfully I didn't get photos of the food or the table set...

THE MENU
Grilled Beef Tenderloin
Egg Salad Roll-ups
Heart Shaped Chicken Salad Sandwhiches
Mashed Potatoes in Fillo Cups topped with cheese
Assorted vegetables and dip
Sausage Meatballs
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Faux Fondant Cakes

The chandelier over the table was decorated in crepe paper roses and glass heart ornaments, the plan was to also include playing cards to create a kind of house of cards but time didn't permit.



I was thrilled when I scored these napkins in person the color matched the dress almost perfectly.  The whole idea for the party started when I found the dresses and with the new TIM BURTON ALICE IN WONDERLAND movie (fantastic, go see it) everything just kind of came together.  If I wouldn't have gotten sick there would have been giant crepe paper roses, large playing cards everywhere, and a better cake... maybe next time....

Best wishes,
Tammy

I'm joining BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH'S TABLESCAPE THURSDAY besure to stop be every week for great tablescaping ideas!

16 comments:

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Oh I know how you feel when you don't get it all done for whatever reason! It turned out fabulous though! Love the little cakes and your chandelier is to die for! Wonderful party, you are so crafty!
Im adding your fun blog to my blog list, I really needed to update it.
Thanks, Londen

Anonymous said...

i totally know how you feel! i think it looks and sounds wonderful! and that menu! yum!!! wish i was there! i know your girls had a wonderful day!

Patty said...

Aww that looks like so much fun! Your tablescaping is lovely ;)

Janean said...

tammy, just FAB, FAB, FAB! the napkin is sooo classy...the roses on the chandelier is a great touch.

big hugs.

jen said...

Tammy I just found your blog HOW AMAZING! love it all and a gorgeous party! just fabulous!
luvs and glitter
~jen

nell ann said...

So fun! I'm actually hosting a Mad Hatter Tea Party this weekend (for a baby shower) and see a few more things I want to add to our list. It looks like it was so fun -- and I am jealous that none of the kiddie parties I attend don't have grown-up parties, too! Excellent idea!!!

a quiet life said...

that was adorable, love all the moss~

Cindy - Your Decorating Hotline said...

I adore the "2-in-1" party theme and how you tied it all together. Charming! I found you through Tablescape Thursday - glad I did.

Creations By Cindy said...

It all turned out lovely. Thanks for sharing. Be blessed. Cindy

jninecostumes said...

Lovely tea! And great tips on the faux fondant. Thanks for sharing.

vignette design said...

This is just too cute for words!

Tricia said...

So lovely and fun! I am definitely going to try your faux fondant idea. Those mini cakes are darling!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Looks like a fabulous party and what a fun idea! Joni

Lia at Petite Little Bee said...

I love your table setting. It is just wonderful. I just love the Alice in Wonderland theme it is so much fun!!!I am a new follower to your blog. I hope you have a chance to come say hi. Cheers, Lia

Ridgely (Grandma J @ Dear Angelene) said...

My gosh -- this is lovely. From the teacup sitting on the cake (I'm storing that in my memory bank!) to the flowers in the chandelier. Another think I'm storing away for future use is the idea of mashed potatoes in phillo cups -- I bet the looked and tasted wonderful. Finally, the dress -- that's my granddaughter's Easter dress! If you go to my blog, Angelene is in it right at the top!! Both her mom and I fell in love with it the minute we saw it, after shopping through several stores and finding nothing. I love your blog!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Beautiful! Very creative!

Katherine