Tuesday, May 18, 2010

MRS. SEDGWICK BUILDS HER DREAM HOUSE (sort of...)















Yesterday hubby gave me the news that I could finally hire a painter to paint our front hall and guest bath.  At first I was thrilled then the reality set in that I have to pick out the colors. ARGHHH!  We have been in the house for a year now and the peach that came with the house just has to go!!!  The ceilings are at the lowest 12ft and the staircase is open to the bonus room and there is NO WAY that I could tackle that on my own and after the kitchen, family room, dining room and the kids rooms my husband will NEVER PAINT AGAIN!

While explaining to him my paint color dilema he began to give me a hardtime and call me Mrs. Blandings.  Have you seen MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE? If you haven't run to your video store now! If you LOVE old movies, Cary Grant, or dream of renovating or building your own home this is a must, I promise you will not be disappointed.

My favorite scene in the movie and maybe favorite movie quote.
And now I share with all of you my painting dilema, bear with me.  I had to walk away from my entry filled with swatches, books, magazines, and everything I own that might be the right shade of "white"...

Seriously, how many shades of white and gray can there really be?

This is the entry looking in from my dining room that is now a gorgeous aqua.  Currently the entrance is peach (it looks like I have a MIAMI VICE thing going on...)

Looks yellow in the pick, trust me it is peach... To the right is the hall to the master and to the left is the "not sure what it will be room"

Hall to the master, that cut-out will get something special, time will tell...

The "not sure what it will be room" I am thinking a light gray on top and medium gray on the bottom.  The light has to go!

View from front door. Dining Room to the left "whatever" room to the right.

I chose white for the entry walls and up the stairs. Since so many rooms "touch the entry" choosing the right shade has been enough to make me pull my hair out! The aqua dining room is the problem.  Because white is such a reflective color the first I tried was a bit too gray and in the shaded areas looked lavendar, not good!  I am looking for a color that is not to cream and not to gray but with a slight contrast so it doesn't disappear into the molding and ceiling... I think I finally found it, we will see!

Our main floor guest bath is not much too look at...tomorrow a little facelift is in order.  Pale gray paint on the walls, black shelves filled with white and glass accessories, and a white ruffle shower curtain.  Sadly the ugly white tile, builder cabinets complete with blue marble vanity and gold hardware must stay - for now.


So our house is not my exact dream house but is in my "dream neighborhood"  When we started looking at houses I had my list of "DON'T WANTS" and this house covers almost all of them...but we couldn't resist the chance to move into this community.  I firmly believe that you have to live in a space and let it tell you what it wants.  (And this space told me that it really does not want to be peach - please don't take offense if you are a peach lover, it's just not working for me.)  My style is evolving along with this house and little by little is truly becoming "our home".

The painter will be by shortly to pick up my swatches, back to work I go.

Best wishes,
Tammy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow tammy! it sounds like you have a big job picking out just the right colors! it is a hard decision! good luck and i cant wait to see the after pictures!

jen said...

HEy Tammy,
Thanks for stopping by :) I dont know if I've seen that movie or not but I am going too! Iove old movies...my kids always complain yet get glued right there watching with me and laughing their heads off! It's good for them right? LOL Oh painting how fun :) peach so 80's! Yah color reflection is always a good thing to take into account it changes everything! Right now my breakfast nook is a rusty yuk color and it kills everything I put in there ... Have fun can't wait to see how it turns out :)

luvs and glitter
~jen

Janean said...

your miami vice comment was so funny (and uh, true!). i went to restoration hardware and used their colors. they have the most beautiful colors, including whites, and you can actually see them used on their walls in the stores.

happy painting and i'm going to get this movie.

Faded Plains said...

Isn't picking paint colors fun...;o) I hope it all works out for you.

Bring Pretty Back said...

I love this movie! I can't wait to see what colors you choose and see pic's!

Sandra said...

Hi Tammy,

Just received your wonderful box of sparklers and other treasures...I quickly put them up and snapped some photo's of them for a quick post. Thank you so much for your generosity...I love everything and will use them year after year in my decorating.