Friday, November 19, 2010

DECK THE HALLS FRIDAY - TREE TRIMMING 101

WELCOME TO DECK THE HALLS FRIDAY!

I LOVE decorating Christmas trees, it truely is one of my very favorite things to do.  As a little girl I always helped my mom and decorated my own little tree in my room.  While in high school I worked at a fine dept store with an amazing Trim the Home dept  that was known for their holiday decorations, here I learned how to properly light a tree.  After doing that for 5 years I began an internship in the display dept at Walt Disney World where I learned from the most amazing people you will ever meet!  What I am trying to say is I have learned from the best.   Here are my tips for decorating an artificial tree, grab a cup of coffee it's a long one...

"FLUFFING" THE TREE

After putting the pieces into the stand go get a cup of cocoa and let the tree rest for a bit to let the branches settle.
Wear gloves, it will save your nails! I discovered this by accident on a cold morning,  I put my gloves on and guess what NO MORE SCRATCHY HANDS!  In the past I wore stretchy knit gloves, this year I wore rubber gloves because they were handy, worked great!
Start at the bottom and work your way up. Turning up the inside branches to help hide the trunk and make the tree look fuller.
Don't be afraid to add extra pine garland. If your tree is thin try sticking garland inside the branches your tree will look full in no time!
"TWINKING" THE TREE


Again wear gloves, makes all the difference, I am telling you!
If you are not lucky enough to have a prelit tree take your time when placing the lights. Wrap each branch from the trunk to the tip and back again. It takes time but it will be worth it!  If you plan ahead stop your lights where each tree section ends. Next year all you will have to do is plug them all together.
Be sure to add lights to the inside branches and the trunk. It will make your tree look fuller and give you a nice designer look.
Allow about 100 lights per foot. This can be less. In my opionion many prelit trees don't have quite enough lights. Don't be afraid to add a strand or two.
Add colored lights to your clear light tree. One year I added a strand of green lights to a clear light tree and the tree began to glow! Have all white ornaments and want to change it up this year add pink or red lights. Or if the kids are begging for colored lights why not have both.

SORTING & HANGING YOUR ORNAMENTS


I love this step! Sort your ornaments by size, color, style. For this tree I sorted by:


Filler Ornaments Plain balls or ornaments you have alot of, these are tucked into the tree. Don't be afraid of green ornaments they work great as fillers and reflect the lights adding to the fullness of the tree.

Larger Scale Ornaments
For example this large red ball. I use this size to fill the holes and go on after my filler ornaments, they also get tucked inside. Keep the larger ornaments towards the bottom of your tree and the smaller towards the top.
Novelty & Special Ornaments
These are the ones you want to really show off and add personality to your tree. These go on the tips.

Smaller Ornaments Place these on the upper branches and fill in holes

Icicles and Finials
These I like to put on last and hang at the very tips of the branches.


If you follow the above tips your tree will have a nice layered look.
ORNAMENT HANGERS I am not a fan of wire hangers. They fall off, they tangle, and I just don't trust them. I also like my ornaments to hang close to the branches.

Here are my 3 favorite hangers:


Green pipe cleaners cut to about 2 inches they wrap right around the branches and disapear (you can barely see it in the above pic). They are easy to remove and are great if you have toddlers, pets, or if your tree is in a high traffic area.


Clear hair bands. Again they disappear and keep the ornaments close to the branches. Gently remove the ornament cap and wire and tread the band onto the wire. Replace the cap and you are done. They are not very stretchy so opt for the medium size.


Use the metallic string that comes on most ornaments and wrap it around the branch. You will see this on most department store trees. This is my least favorite of the three but for some ornaments it is a good option. Your ornaments will be secure and fit snug to the branch.

Another ornament tip:  Remove the ornament caps and hot glue them back on. We did this at Disney and was great for transporting and packing away each year.  Works especially well on wreaths or garlands.  Takes time and you will burn your fingers but worth it.

BACK SIDE OF THE TREE


Don't forget the back of your tree! Even if it can't be seen. If you place lots or ornaments on the front your tree will lean forward. By placing ornaments on the back it will help balance your tree and your tree will look fuller.

GARLAND & RIBBON
My jury is still out on this one. Many designers say to do this step first. I have done it both ways. I lean towards doing it last. Garland is a nice addition to the tree. I like to place it where I find bare spots. When I put it on last I can have control of where it goes, tuck it behind an ornament, pull it forward and so on...


TREE TOPPERS Put it on first. I love the image of the father hoisting the little girl up to the top and placing the angel atop the tree.  But in reality every year I hold my breath and say a little prayer and hope that the whole thing doesn't fall over. Many trees make putting a topper on almost impossible.  I like to wire a dowel rod to the center of the tree and place the topper on the rod. This works especially well for finials. Also try nestling the topper into the upper branches and attach with wire or pipecleaners.


I hope you learned something new and if you have other tips please leave a comment and share it with us.


This is my finished tree from last year.



Have you started decorating your tree?

Now it's your turn! What are you working on or thinking about? Each Friday join our DECK THE HALLS FRIDAY LINKY PARTY!


1. Share your pre-holiday goals, projects, great finds, collections, inspiration photos, or gift ideas, If you are a crafter or have any etsy store show off what you are working on. 


2. Create a new post or link back to a post from years past.  Feel free to add more than one post.


3. Share a project you have been wanting to try (if it's not your original idea be sure to give gredit where credit is due)


4. Please link your post back to this one. If you would like grab the DECK THE HALLS image on my sidebar and added it to your sidebar or post (I will create an actual button one of these days...)


5. Be sure to add the link to your specific post and not your blog

6. You are welcome to link up more than one post, don't be shy!
and finally... INSPIRE & BE INSPIRED


A special thanks to all of the great ladies that have been linking up week after week!

(Please, excuse the bad spacing in this post, blogger and I are not friends this morning...)

15 comments:

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

This was a fabulous post Tammy! You are the tree expert. Your tree from last year is amazing!! I can just imagine your little ones tearing through those gifts. We are going to get our tree next Friday, can't wait.

red ticking said...

love your post... i found you from our dear friend koralee... and yes, i am decked...
have a wonderful holiday ... xx pam

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Tammy,
I do pretty much every thing that you talk about. I learned from an HGTV special Where Mr. Christmas ( or is it Dr. Christmas) talked about how to decorate a tree professionally. he also mentioned using larger white lights on the inside of the tree to make it appear to glow inside. I do this on my Living Room tree. It is harder with the slim trees so I just use the regular light from the trunk out as you mentioned. I also go by 100 lights per foot.
I always tilt my tree backward so when I add all the ornaments it actually evens out! LOL!
I like the idea of using colored light with white light. I did do white lights and a few strands of pink on my Craft room tree and I am thinking of doing it next year with my DR tree. I may thrown in a strand of green and red on my LR tree next year since it is up and fully decorated now.
Thanks for the great tips and ideas!!
I am putting them in my Christmas notebook that I refer back to every year.
Hugs,
Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas

Lily said...

What a lovely post and photos. We buy a fake Tree over here but I'll remember the gloves if I ever buy a real tree :)

Lily

Blessed Serendipity said...

What a beautiful tree! Thanks for the tips. Thanks for hosting this fun party.

-Danielle

Natasha in Oz said...

Your ideas are wonderful. I have already put up our tree this year...I wish i'd read this first!

I haven't added your button to my recent bird post but I will and I will link up.

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

PS Thanks for tweeting me!
xo

Mandie said...

A great post! How fun to have the work experience you have had!! I could do that my whole life, lol.

I have been having trouble just doing white too. I have had the color green sneak in on me, tehe.

koralee said...

Thank you so much for the tree tips...your ideas are amazing..especially the one about the green twist ties...will use this one for sure.

Hugs for a great festive weekend...your last year tree was stunning..can't wait to see yours this year.

No tree up yet...we get a fresh one from the tree farm so we need to wait until December...we love going out hunting for the perfect one and having hot chocolate and cookies at the farm.

Love to you my sweet friend. xoxo

Jenny H. said...

Great post, great tips! I just found your blog, and plan to spend a LOT of time here! :-)

My first time joining the link party, I messed up the thumbnail, sorry! Thanks for hosting, especially us newbies!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Clear headbands? Great tip!! Thanks for hosting!!

Melissa said...

oh my gosh you are soo amazingly clever....& you learnt from the best...as you say...

i have been enjoying your blog for a while now...thanks for the inspiration...

it was lovely to link up with you at last...

thanks...Melissa x

Laura said...

Great blog... Glad I got to link up with you today! Lx

heather said...

What wonderful tree tips!

Valarie said...

Hi tammy....can you email me your address so I can get your winnings in the mail?? xxoo Valarie
wauvie@msn.com

An Oasis in the Desert said...

You have some great suggestions to simplify decorating the tree. I love all the other decorations, but not actually doing the tree, but I think your ideas will help a lot with that. I am a new follower.
CAS