Wednesday, December 2, 2009

TREE TRIMMING 101



This year I thought I would share my tips for decorating an artificial christmas tree. In my 35 years I think I have decorated over 60 trees. It all started in high school while working at a department store that was known for their Trim the Home department. I was recruited to help set up the department and the love affair began... After 5 years there I was lucky enought to spend a year and a half as an intern in a Walt Disney World display department. Let me say those people are AMAZING! That year I fluffed and twinked (our technical terms for straightening and lighting) 100's of feet of garland and dozens of trees. My fellow intern and I figured it out one day, wish I could remember how much... So I do know a thing or two about this subject...

"FLUFFING" THE TREE


After putting the pieces into the stand go get a cup of cocoa and let the tree rest for a bit to let the branches settle.
Wear gloves, it will save your nails! I discovered this by accident it was cold one morning and I put my gloves on. No more scratchy hands. In the past I wore stretchy knit gloves, this year I wore rubber gloves because they were handy, worked great!
Start at the bottom and work your way up. Turning up the inside branches to help hide the trunk and make the tree look fuller.
Don't be afraid to add extra pine garland. If your tree is thin try sticking garland inside the branches your tree will look full in no time!
"TWINKING" THE TREE


Again wear gloves, makes all the difference, I am telling you!
If you are not lucky enough to have a prelit tree take your time when placing the lights. Wrap each branch from the trunk to the tip and back again. It takes time but it will be worth it! If you think it through stop your lights where each tree section ends leave the lights on the tree. Next year all you will have to do is plug them all together.
Be sure to add lights to the inside branches and the trunk if you can. It will make your tree look fuller and give you a nice designer look.
Allow about 100 lights per foot. This can be less. In my opionion many prelit trees don't have quite enough lights. Don't be afraid to add a strand or two.
Add colored lights to your clear light tree. One year I added a strand of green lights to a clear light tree and the tree began to glow! Have all white ornaments and want to change it up this year add pink or red lights. Or if the kids are begging for colored lights why not have both.


SORTING & HANGING YOUR ORNAMENTS



I love this step! Sort your ornaments by size, color, style. For this tree I sorted by:


Filler Ornaments
Plain balls or ornaments you have alot of, these are tucked into the tree. Don't be afraid of green ornaments they work great as fillers and reflect the lights adding to the fullness of the tree.


Larger Scale Ornaments
For example this large red ball. I use this size to fill the holes and go on after my filler ornaments, they also get tucked inside. Keep the larger ornaments towards the bottom of your tree and the smaller towards the top.


Novelty & Special Ornaments
These are the ones you want to really show off and personalize your tree. These go on the tips.
Smaller Ornaments
Place these on the upper branches and fill in holes
Icicles and Finials
These I like to put on last and hang at the very tips of the branches.


If you follow the above tips your tree will have a nice layered look.
ORNAMENT HANGERS

I am not a fan of wire hangers. They fall off, they tangle, and I just don't trust them. I also like my ornaments to hang close to the branches.
Here are my 3 favorite hangers:


Green pipe cleaners. Cut to about 2 inches they wrap right around the branches and disapear. They are easy to remove and are great if you have toddlers, pets, or if your tree is in a high traffic area.


Clear hair bands. Again they disappear and keep the ornaments close to the branches. Gently remove the ornament cap and wire and tread the band onto the wire. Replace the cap and you are done. They are not very stretchy so opt for the medium size.


Use the metallic string that comes on most ornaments and wrap it around the branch. You will see this on most department store trees. This is my least favorite of the three but for some ornaments it is a good option. Your ornaments will be secure and fit snug to the branch.
BACK SIDE OF THE TREE


Don't forget the back of your tree! Even if it can't be seen. If you place lots or ornaments on the front your tree will lean forward. By placing ornaments on the back it will help balance your tree and your tree will look fuller.

GARLAND & RIBBON

My jury is still out on this one. Many designers say to do this step first. I have done it both ways. I lean towards doing it last. Garland is a nice addition to the tree. I like to place it where I find bare spots. When I put it on last I can have control of where it goes, tuck it behind an ornament, pull it forward and so on...
TREE TOPPERS

Put it on first. I love the picture of adding the angel as the finishing touch to your tree but every year I hold my breath and say a little prayer and hope that the whole thing doesn't fall over. Many trees make putting a topper on almost imposible for this I like to wire a dowel rod to the center of the tree and place the topper on the rod. This works especially well for finials. Also try nestling the topper into the upper branches and attach with wire or pipecleaners.

I hope you learned something new and if you have other tips please leave a comment and share it with us. I don't have a picture of the completed tree yet as it is still a work in progress (probably will be until December 24th...

I saw that the Nester has a great post on this subject today be sure to stop over at NESTING PLACE for more great tips and ideas.



I just linked up to THE INSPIRED ROOM be sure to stop by for GREAT HOLIDAY DECORATING IDEAS!
Happy Decorating!

Best wishes,
Tammy

7 comments:

Tammy@InStitches said...

Great tips, I can't wait to see your tree when it's all finished !

Karyn said...

Wow, great ideas! I would never have thought of the green pipe cleaners!! I grew up decorating trees every Christmas with my family for a fundraiser for a children's hospital. It was so much fun!

Natalie said...

Tammy, I have seen your trees and they are amazing! You certainly know what you are talking about. I tried the gloves you are right - a life safer!

-Natalie

Faded Plains said...

Great tips Tammy!

Terrie said...

Found you on Inspired Room; As an interior designer I've also done lots of trees over the years but can't believe it never occurred to me to wear gloves during the fluffing. Wow!
Will also try the pipe cleaner idea - seems like a good alternative to those hooks.
Terrie @ YourDecoratingHotline

Moore Minutes said...

Thank you for this excellent information. I learned so much reading this! Much appreciated!

beth said...

Great tips!! I've already got my tree decorated, but I'll have to remember some of these for next year!! :)
Merry Christmas! Beth.